Search This Blog

Importance of Scripture Memory




“I shall delight in Thy statutes; I shall not forget Thy Word.”
Psalm 119:16, KJV

I. Common excuses for not memorizing scripture

A.      “I just don’t have enough time.”
The mind of an average person is not used for anything constructive 80-90% of the day.

“Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men, but as wise, making the most of your time because the days are evil.” Ephesians 5:15-16, NAS

B.      “I can’t memorize.”
You can always remember what you want to remember.

“I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:13, NAS

C.      “I’m just too lazy” (not disciplined).
“If you are lazy, you will meet difficulty everywhere.” Proverbs 15:19a, TEV

D.      “I’m just not interested enough.”
If we are not interested in Scripture memory, it’s probably because our interest is somewhere ELSE.

“And the worries of the world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the DESIRES for other things enter in and choke the Word, and it becomes unfruitful.” Mark 4:19, NAS

E.       “I’m not organized”

F.       “i’ve never realized its importance.”

II. Importance of scripture memory
“These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts.  Impress them on your children.  Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.” Deuteronomy 6:6-7
A.      It helps resist temptation to sin and help build purity of life.
Number one area Satan is attacking today: moral PURITY

“How can a young man keep his way pure?  By living according to Your Word.  I seek You with all my heart; do not let me astray from Your commands.  I have hidden Your Word in my heart that I might not sin against You.” Psalm 119:9-11

This is why Scripture memory is a MUST to any growing Christian!

A heart without Scripture is as useless as a gun without bullets.

B.      It fills your mind with god.  You are what you THINK about!

“As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he.” Proverbs 23:7a, KJV

Garbage in-garbage OUT!

Guard you mind!

Sample verses: (on moral purity or thought life)
Gal 6:7; Eph. 6:11; Rom. 13:14; 2 Tim. 2:22; 1 Cor. 3:16; 1 Thess. 4:3; Col. 3:16; Rom. 16:19

C.      It helps in witnessing
Hebrews 4:12 tells us the Word of God is like a sharp sword.  It will convict the person you are witnessing to. 

Spurgeon said, “Scripture is like a lion chained up.  You don’t have to defend it: just turn it loose and let it defend itself.

D.      It enables the holy spirit to teach you and guide you in daily decisions.

“But the Helper, the Holy Spirit... will teach you all things, and bring to your REMEMBRANCE all that I said to you.” John 14:26, NAS

“You Word is a lamp to GUIDE me and a light for my path.” Psalm 119:105, TEV

III. How to memorize scripture

A.      Set a goal and a pace.  One or two verses per week.
B.      Know the context (background) Read what is written before and after the verse.
C.      Stick to one translation when possible.
D.      Try meditating on one word at a time.  What does it mean to “meditate”?
E.       Be sure to remember the reference or the “address” of your verse.  It is helpful to say the reference both BEFORE and AFTER the verse you are memorizing or reviewing.
F.       Review,  review, review! This is the KEY to Scripture memory.

IV. Pitfalls of scripture memory
A.      Don’t memorize scripture just because you think it would be good for a friend!
B.      Strive not to quote verses in a haphazard manner. Strive for perfection!
C.      Don’t become a “scripture spouter.”  This is a person who pridefully and boastfully spouts off his memory verses.

V. Have a scripture memory plan

Don’t overload yourself.  Whatever you decide to do, STICK WITH IT!

“I shall delight in Thy statutes; I shall not forget Thy Word.”
Psalm 119:16, KJV


No comments:

Post a Comment