Search This Blog

Solitude, A Time Alone With God




SOLITUDE

SOLITUDE is a time when we withdraw from the company of others in order to give God our UNDIVIDED attention.
-          Shut out external stimulation
-          Allow ourselves to become QUIET.
Solitude is an OPPORTUNITY, not  an obligation.

We need to plan HOW we spend our time with God. For example:

                Silent listening                      Scripture reflection             Prayer                   Journaling
                A slow meditative walk       Worship music                     Singing praises

A plan helps us to stay FOCUSED.

Experiencing Solitude
1.       Find a quiet place that is free of distractions
Very early in the morning, while it was still dark,
Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place,
Where he prayed. (Mark 1:35)

Then, because so many people were coming and going
that they did not even have a chance to eat, [Jesus] said to [his disciples],
“Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.”
So they went away by themselves in a boat to a solitary place.
(Mark 6:31-32)

The location Jesus chose were  PEACEFUL and quiet.

We need to pay attention WHERE we meet with God.
2.       QUIET yourself in God’s presence.
Breathe deeply                      Slow down



3.       Tell God what you need.
Use a simple a simple prayer:
God, I just want to be with you.”
“God, I need your guidance.”
“Lord, I want to feel your love.”

Be clear about what you would like to receive from God.

4.       Use SCRIPTURE to listen to God.
Read it slowly and deliberately.
Notice the word or phrases that stand out and speak to your heart.
What thoughts or emotions do you experience?

5.       Be fully present.
Remind yourself that you just need to be yourself with God.
Give him your undivided attention.
Anticipate distractions by:
-          Ignoring them
-          Writing them down on a piece of paper for later
-          Incorporating them right into your prayers
Wandering thoughts:  aren’t always a barrier to prayer, maybe a guide for prayer.
Speak to him directly about whatever you are thinking or feeling.

6.       Respond to what you hear God saying to you through Scripture or in prayer.
Speak to God about what you have sensed and felt and heard. Respond verbally or by writing in a journal.
Start with: “God, what I hear you saying to me is...”

7.       Express gratitude and commitment.
Spend a few minutes thanking God for his presence with you.
Express your commitment to respond faithfully to whatever it is you have heard from him during this time.

“Give ear to my words, Oh Lord,
Consider my meditation;
Hearken unto the voice of my cry,
My King, and my God.

For unto Thee will I pray,
My voice shalt Thou hear in the morning,
Oh Lord, in the morning
Will I direct my prayer unto Thee and will look up.”
Psalm 5:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment